Day 2559 (Monday) 10th June 2024

This is Saint-Jean Cap-Ferrat

A path with trees and a fence by the water

Description automatically generated

and this is Menton again.

A beach with buildings and palm trees

Description automatically generated

There were two cruise ships in the bay this morning and at first it was quite overcast but by mid-morning it cleared up and I spent a few hours sunbathing on the balcony – it was bliss.

Hopefully the summer has finally arrived.

A cruise ship in the water

Description automatically generated

It must be getting warmer because Badger is doing his funny stretchy lying down thing.

 A cat lying on its back on an orange blanket

Description automatically generated


What’s happening in France this week – the Local France

On the Agenda: What’s happening in France this weekThe winners of the 24 hours of Le Mans endurance race on June 11th 2023. (Photo by JEAN-FRANCOIS MONIER / AFP)


From strikes from French air traffic controllers to 24 hours of Le Mans and Father's Day, here's what is happening in France this week.


Monday

Results from the European Elections - After voting concludes on Sunday, June 9th, the full results of the European election will be available on June 10th. Although the results do not technically affect French domestic politics, a heavy loss for president Emmanuel Macron's party is likely to result in political turbulence at home.


Tuesday

Air traffic control strikes - The air traffic controllers' union at Paris' Orly airport has filed a strike notice covering June 11th, 12th and 13th.

The exact level of disruption will depend on how many air traffic controllers heed the UNSA-ICNA union's call, but a strike two weeks ago by the same union saw 70 percent of flights in and out of Orly airport cancelled.

Short-stay Schengen visas - The fee for getting a Schengen visa will rise by 12 percent on June 11th. The hike means the basic fee for a Schengen visa will rise from €80 to €90 for adults and from €40 to €45 for children. The reason for the price hike has been blamed on inflation in member states.


Thursday

Paris cheese museum - The Musée Vivant du Fromage will open its doors on June 13th, promising a unique immersive and interactive journey into France’s ‘culinary and terroir heritage’.


Friday

World Blood Donor Day - June 14th marks the international day that countries around the world recognise blood donors and the importance of blood donation. 

Start of the Euros - Germany will play against Scotland at 9pm as the opening match of the 2024 Euros.


Saturday

24 Hours of Le Mans - The endurance-focused sports car race will be held on June 15th to 16th this year near the pretty medieval town of Le Mans.

Changes to psychological support - Starting on June 15th, some aspects of France's psychological support system, Mon Soutien Psy, will change. Sessions will remain reimbursed at a rate of 60 percent, but they will be allowed to increase in cost from €30 to €50. There will be a possibility to directly consult a psychologist without going through a doctor first. The number of sessions covered by the scheme will also increase from 8 to 12.


Sunday

Father's Day - The French Father's Day will take place on Sunday, June 16th this year.

End of the D-Day festival - The 'D-Day Festival Normandy' involves several different remembrance events, and it will conclude on June 16th (having begun on June 1st). 


A city street with a body of water and a boat

Description automatically generated


70 Words to Nuance I Love You in French ❤️by Camille Chevalier-Karfis

How to say I love you in French? Learn nuances of love in French, from friendship to romantic love, French love expressions and avoid cultural misunderstandings.

First, let’s see the typical translation for “I love you” in French.

The typical translation for “I love you” is: Je t’aime (enunciated)
I love you using “tu”.

Je vous aime (enunciated) 

Like it is often the case in French, the pronunciation will change slightly depending on whether you are speaking in a very enunciated manner or using a casual French pronunciation.

Careful though. Saying je t’aime to a friend would be a big faux-pas ! je t’aime actually means ‘I am in love with you’.


I love you in English

In English, the verb “to love” is confusing because it expresses a variety of feelings. You can say “I love you” to someone you are in love with, but also to your parents, or a friend to express friendship.

It’s not the case in French.

I love you in French

je t’aime really translates as ‘I am in love with you’.
To keep it on a friendship level, you need to add an adverb: “je t’aime beaucoup, je t’aime bien…” 

You could say je t’aime to a member of your very close family, such as your child, a sibling, or your parents, or even a pet.


How to answer I love you in French?

The typical answer to I love you in French is “moi aussi“: me too. It’s as simple as that.


Now, here are other phrases to express your love in French.

9 ways to say I love you in French

Let’s see how to nuance I love you.

Je t’aime de tout mon coeur – I love you with all my heart

Je suis amoureux/amoureuse de toi – I’m in love with you

Je t’aime passionnément – I love you with passion

Je t’aime à la folie – I’m crazy about you

Tu es l’amour de ma vie – you are the love of my life

Tu es mon grand amour – you’re my biggest love

J’ai eu le coup de foudre pour toi – it was love at first sight

Je te kiffe – I love you / I fancy you using actually an Arabic term that is nowadays quite commonly used in modern spoken French, especially by younger people.

JTM – pronouncing it like the letters [jé té aim] – comes from texting in French and popular among young French people and teens.


13 ways to avoid I love you in French

Sometimes, you have strong feelings about someone, but you’re note quite ready to drop the L bomb.

Although we’ll see below that it’s not as big a deal in France than it is other countries, you may need alternative to I love you in French.

Tu me plais (beaucoup / énormément) – I fancy you, I’m fond of you

J’en pince pour toi – I have a crush on you

Je suis fou/folle de toi – I’m crazy about you

Je suis dingue de toi – I’m crazy about you (a bit more colloquial)

Je suis épris(e) de toi – I’m taken by you (quite formal)

Tu m’as tapé dans l’oeil – you made quite an impression on me

Je suis morgane de toi – pretty poetic slang – I’m crazy about you. French singer Renaud made this expression quite popular.

Je ne peux pas vivre sans toi – I can’t live without you

Je brûle pour toi – I’m burning (with love) for you

Mon coeur s’enflamme en pensant à toi – my heart turns to flame when I think of you.

Je t’adore – I adore you – very used, a very good alternative to not say “I love you” in French…

Je suis à toi – I’m yours. 

Tu es tout pour moi – you’re everything for me. 

You will find longer lists on the internet but watch out… expressions are not timeless… Saying “Je t’ai dans la peau” – ‘I got you under my skin’ for example is not an expression we use seriously today. One can use it to be over-dramatic, or as a joke.

That’s why you have to be careful with articles with lists of expressions: without the right context, you could be making a big faux pas!




A cat on top of a dog's head

Description automatically generated


A cat hiding under a pile of knitted clothes

Description automatically generated


A cat lying on a toilet

Description automatically generated


Comments

Popular posts from this blog