Day 2066 (Thursday) 26th November

It was lovely and sunny this morning but there was a definite chill in the air so I had to wear a jacket.

Basque Alex put this gorgeous photo of the sky on WhatsApp taken in their beautiful country house. 

A tree in front of a palm tree

Description automatically generated

A new homeless person has appeared in Villefranche and lives on the bridge next to the train station. He has so much stuff bags and bags of stuff and lots of boxes. Two policemen were talking to him this morning but they didn’t seem to be moving him along.




A picture containing outdoor, building, person, table

Description automatically generated




This photo doesn’t show how much stuff he has but you can get the picture. Natacha sent me a text earlier warning me that there were delays on the trains but mine was on time so I sent her a text in French and her reaction was great, she sent me and smiley face and three thumbs ups! I really must try speaking more. Bradley was in a bit of a funny mood when I arrived but he soon calmed down and actually did some work. He hugged me three times today, I feel very sorry that he has so little love in his life but I wish he’d stop doing it. It was warm enough for Bradley and I to have our class on the balcony and the view is pretty special.

 A group of palm trees with water in the background

Description automatically generated

I had half an hour between classes so I ate my sandwich sitting in the port of Cap d’Ail outside the Marriott.

A boat is docked next to a body of water

Description automatically generated


A picture containing building, outdoor, sitting, orange

Description automatically generated

My lesson at the stadium went well; we did a bit of grammar and moved on to football vocabulary which they seemed to appreciate, they really are a lovely group – five men and one woman. As I left the building Yann, one of the group was leaving as well and he asked me if I was going to the station via the lift and when I admitted that I didn’t know where it was he very kindly offered to show me the way. We walked the length of the Centre Commercial, which is huge and walked down a short tunnel to the lift and in no time we were back up on the main road to the station. I had a very pleasant hour doing my jigsaw before preparing my school bag ready for tomorrow. Pat called in to get the computer stuff off Huw, Pat is so good with Badger and Badger is getting better and better with people and other animals.


I found an article online about five food specialities in the Nice area and thought I’d share it with you – hope you enjoy… it has been written by a French person and the English isn’t perfect but it’s pretty good…


Food specialities of the Nice region

The cuisine of the Nice region is unique! A mixture of French and Mediterranean tradition, the Provencal recipes of the French Riviera showcase the best vegetables from the region, the famous olive oil and the pasta and beignets from neighbouring Italy. 

A close up of food

Description automatically generated

The local cuisine is both tasty and balanced, comforting and full of energy. Today, we present you with the great culinary specialties of Nice.


Daube niçoise (doba nissarda)

A plate of food

Description automatically generated

The daube niçoise is a beef stew marinated in red wine and tomato. In addition to carrots, celery, and onions, the daube niçoise contains porcini mushrooms, which differentiates it from the daube provençale.

Ingredients for 6 persons

1.4 kg of braising beef or bourguignon beef

2 cloves of garlic

2 chopped onions (I take frozen)

carrots

800 g canned peeled tomatoes

Thyme

Laurel

Rosemary

125 ml red wine

30 ml of brandy

Salt pepper

Oil of olives

Production

Difficulty

Preparation 30 mins

Cooking 4 hrs

Total time 4 h 30 min


PREPARATION

In a pan, brown the pieces of beef cut into large cubes of about 3 cm per side in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, add salt and pepper. Roast them (they will first make water, wait until all the water is reabsorbed and let them brown.)

In a cast-iron casserole dish (like the crucible), brown in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the chopped garlic , the sliced ​​onions, the peeled carrots and cut into rings, a little thyme, rosemary and a bay leaf . When the onions have browned, then add the browned meat , deglaze the pan with 50 ml of water and add it to the casserole dish. Roughly cut the peeled tomatoes and add them to the casserole dish along with the wine and brandy. Complete with water so that the level covers the pieces of meat (I added 100 ml).

Complete with water so that the level covers the pieces of meat (I added 100 ml). Let simmer heat to very low for 4 hours in the casserole with lid.

Finally

Serve preferably with fresh pasta (tagliatelle for example) "polenta" (mash made from corn flour) accompanied by grated Parmesan.

   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog