Day 21. (Wednesday)
Wednesday market was setting up and the Thai food man said bonjour, it’s very exciting that the locals are realising that we’re still here.
In class today we did role play again to practise formal and informal greetings and goodbyes. Michael was the director of a company, Shanna and Alison were accountants, Vlada was HR and I was an important client about to sign a huge contract – better than being a short alien I guess.   
We then went on to learn how to present ourselves to new people saying stuff like my name is, I am a teacher, I study French etc. and got two new words – married is marie(e) and single is celibataire. There was a slight awkward pause as three out for five of us are native English speakers; I couldn’t not say anything so I asked if the word for single in French has the same meaning as in English? Annick didn’t get it at first so I said ‘catholic priests are celibate.’ She thought it was hilarious when she caught on saying ‘no, not all single people are celibate to which I replied ‘thank god!’ 
Vlada is starting to get on my nerves being rude to Annick, she does it with a smile on her face but being a teacher I can see exactly what she’s doing and she is patronising Annick and I can tell she feels it too. It’s just little things but they are horrible. Annick will offer to write the verbs ‘avoir’ (to have) and etre (to be) on the board, which is really useful to do a number of times because some of them are easily confused such as ils ont and ils sont. Vlada said something along the lines of ‘we can see them in the book’, what she if really saying is ‘we’re not stupid’. Annick often introduces exercises giving us a few moments to look at them before answering, to which Vlada has frequently said, ‘let’s just do them directly.’ I know it’s only niggling but Annick really doesn’t deserve it.
The weather today has been very strange; it was glorious all morning when I was in school and the humidity was very uncomfortable when I was walking home. Then black clouds came rolling in – biblical clouds – followed by a very brief but heavy downfall then the sun came out again!
 
Homework is getting easier – who knows I may learn French at this rate. I arranged to meet Mary tomorrow after school to make a plan for July when she will help me set up the classroom ready for September.
I also got an email from William offering me a private student called Anastasia from Russia for 4.5 a week in Mont Boron, where our local Carrefour is, so it’s all looking very promising work-wise.
Huw spoke to his brother Gareth back in England who told us that his daughter Laura, who works in theatre costume design, is coming to Monaco for a week in a few weeks time and she is working on the musical Dirty Dancing, I hate to admit it but I love that film! A few months ago she worked on The Last Tango with Flavia Cacace and Vincent Simone and she got my discount tickets for superb seats, Huw refused to come so I took a friend. I really hope Laura can get me tickets for Dirty Dancing and again Huw refuses to come so hopefully Mara will be well enough to join me.

No box!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog